Sunday, January 13, 2008

A Cultural Experience

Mori
Itsukishima
Hiroshima Prefecture
January 13

To Ojiisan, Obaasan, and Chihiro-basan:

I hope you don't think that I've forgotten to write you. Chris-neesan has been grinning madly since we returned from the beach, and I've been quite at a loss as to what this bodes for me. She has gotten me to sew all sorts of things like curtains and mats and pillows. Being a dutiful guest, I can only comply.

In between all the sewing, I have been dutiful attending my classes. Work at Barbie's has gotten much more fun lately. A co-worker celebrated his birthday there recently so I have photos of myself in my uniform. I know you've been asking me to send more photos of the cafe, Ojiisan, but I can hardly find a reason to take a photo of myself at work. Thankfully, now, I can send you some, if you can wait for those pictures to be developed.

Here is something to tide you over, though: a photo of me getting a cultural education, as Chris-neesan puts it. I've viewed icons from Russia, tribal masks from Africa, antique carvings from Mexico... a delightful study aid. Here, I am standing before a Southeast Asian chest with mother-of-pearl inlay. The chest is beautiful, but it is only one of the many treasures I've seen recently. I think you'll remember, Chihiro-basan, that you once made a lock for something similar.

Speaking of locks, I am happy to report that Chris-neesan has not locked herself out of her room in two weeks. It is quite the record.

Your Midori

No comments: