Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Working Girl

Mori
Itsukishima
Hiroshima Prefecture
December 4

To Ojiisan, Obaasan, and Chihiro-basan:

I am glad to hear that you are all well. But I am even gladder that you have taken the time to e-mail back, after hearing Chihiro-basan going on and on about the evils of the internet for years now. It is not too bad, is it?

I would love it if you sent me more warm clothes from home. I did not expect the weather to be this cool so it will truly be a great help if you do. Chris-neesan already had some clothes ready for me when I arrived. I was truly surprised. To show her my gratitude, I agree to wear a new one for her every day.

Even though Chris-neesan offered to let me stay at her place for free, I still can't help but feel that I'm taking advantage of her hospitality. So I decided to get a job, and it was quite fortuitous that I found one nearby.

The place is called Barbie's, a small cafe that serves amazing pastries. Of course, no one can beat your momiji manju, Obaasan. The manager says that the owner (whose name is the same as the cafe's) is kind, but I haven't caught a glimpse of her yet. All I know is that she is blonde.

How I wish you could come and visit me at work. The food is truly delicious. The coffee is enough to wake even you up, Ojiisan! It certainly feels nice to be useful. Work keeps my mind properly occupied.

Your Midori

No comments: