Wednesday, December 5, 2007

One Fine Day

Mori
Itsukishima
Hiroshima Prefecture
December 5

To Ojiisan, Obaasan, and Chihiro-basan:

How quickly your package arrived! I am surprised to see my old clothes from home so soon after writing to you. You must have anticipated my needs. Thank you very much for your thoughtfulness. Chris-neesan requested me to tell you that we shall be sending you pictures of me wearing those clothes. She insisted; I could hardly say no. Please pardon us.

I am delighted to report that it has been very pleasant here in Faux-kyo. After a tiring first day at the cafe, I took a day off and went on an impromptu picnic. It was quite a delightful experience. I was able to get some coffee and bread from the cafe at a discount, but of course, prices here in the city are much steeper than they are back on our island. I was quite surprised!

Being outdoors is enough to revive my spirits, truly it is. I espied an Agraulis vanillae as I ate. What a lovely sight on such a bright afternoon! It almost made up for my desire to have a pet cat. I wish that I could spend more time outdoors, but with work and a new semester starting soon, I know that these precious days are coming to a close.

I know that it is your fervent desire that I find more friends here in the city. Please do not worry. I look forward to chatting with Sachiko-san soon. She has also invited me to meet new people come Sunday. I shall write all about it then.

Your Midori

P.S. Chihiro-basan, you will be pleased to note that I successfully opened the lock to Chris-neesan's door, which she had accidentally closed with the key still inside. Apparently, this happens to her often. I am appalled that she seems so forgetful, but I am happy that I was able to help in some measure.

No comments: