Thursday, December 13, 2007

Room to Share

Mori
Itsukishima
Hiroshima Prefecture
December 13

To Ojiisan, Obaasan, and Chihiro-basan:

I found this lovely tweed coat tucked among the clothes that you sent me. You must have bought it, Ojiisan! You always know what I like. Well, I am happy to tell you that it fits me perfectly, as you can very well see. I love how it makes me feel very grown-up. You wouldn't guess that I worked at a tiny cafe now, would you?

Chris-neesan locked herself out of her room once more. She's turning me into a regular lockpick because of her disturbing habit. The funny thing is that she will realize her mistake a second after she has closed the door behind her. The strange thing is that she carries a key around her neck often. When I asked her about it, she admitted that it was a promotional souvenir from some movie. She carries a fake key and refuses to carry the real one. Sometimes, I wonder about her. I must invest in a torsion wrench if this is to be an involuntary profession of mine. Will you send me one, Chihiro-basan?

Oh, but I have the most amazing news! Chris-neesan says that I'm to have a new roommate. I can't wait to meet her. She only sent us her picture so that we will recognize her once she arrives, but I don't know anything else about her except that she's named Eowyn. I'm anxious to know what she's like. Will she like me? Will we get along? Much as I like my new friends, it will be nice to finally have a roommate -- it's like having my own sister!

Did I tell you how excited I am? Oh yes, I just did!

Your Midori

No comments: